The story of our School, 1896 - present
A petition to the Education Department was submitted from residents listing the names of children who would attend school if one could be opened.
Education Dept inspector A. Jackson reported that Torquay's permanent population consisted of 1 hotel keeper, 1 fisherman, 1 milkman, 1 storekeeper, 1 builder and 1 timber carrier. There were 9 school children and four under school age. Three more children were expected to attend if a school was opened.
School opened in the Presbyterian Church by Head Teacher, Alice Meagher, with 16 children enrolled.
Alice Meagher wanted to close the school until a stove was put in. She stated, "It is so cold that the children can not hold their pens."
Dept of Education purchases 5 acres of land for the new school site for 150 pounds in the Spring Creek Estate. The site was Lots 97 to 116, township of Torquay, Parish of Puebla, County of Grant. The site was in Boston Rd.
Dept agrees to building a new school. New school is anticipated to be built by 30th April, 1910. The building is actually completed on 1st June, 1910.
W.J Rice of "Sunnyside" Torquay wrote to the Hon. A.J. Peacock MLA with a petition of 150 ratepayers asking for the school to be enlarged. Rice complained that the little ones had to go into the shelter shed for lessons and that it was too cold. Children were moved to the Public Hall for four weeks while the school was enlarged.
S. Bensch complains of cows getting into the school ground through the fence.
E. Charles has a plan to turn the school ground into a camping ground for holiday makers to raise money for the school. After some correspondence, the Dept denied permission because it could create, "a dangerous and undesirable precedent."
Bushfire! Torquay township almost wiped out.
Girls toilets, shelter shed, fencing, lawn mower and tool box were destroyed by the bushfire. Toilets repaired promptly for 18 pounds.
Shelter shed replaced for 52 pounds, 13 shillings. Fencing also replaced.
Electric lights now used.
Pupils in temporary accommodation at "The Kiosk," The Esplanade, Torquay whilst school was being altered.
School council were concerned about the need to provide additional facilities at the school, particularly for art and craft, multi-purpose activities, staff and administrative requirements.
Construction of extended library carried out. Plans for the school extension were revised due to the new "core-plus" policy of the Education Dept.
Upgrade of school completed including facilities for staff and administration, art & craft, multi purpose room, a canteen and newly designed classrooms to cater for 350 pupils. Part of the old school was demolished.