Torquay College strives to create an environment that assists all members of the school community to experience physical, mental, emotional and social wellbeing. We recognise the importance of a whole-school approach to health and wellbeing that ties in with our school motto: “Living and Learning by the Sea.”
To become a health promoting school, we are committed to working with our staff, students and community to:
- provide a supportive learning environment that facilitates and encourages healthy choices and lifestyles, and that complements health messages taught across our curriculum
- provide learning opportunities and experiences in the curriculum that enable all students to gain knowledge and skills and make appropriate choices and to take action to enhance health and wellbeing
- ensure our school values of respect, friendship and doing your best are promoted and modelled, underpinned by a strong sense of resilience
- develop a healthy eating policy to create a physical and social environment which promotes health and wellbeing
- encourage staff and families to be positive role models for healthy choices and lifestyles, through our healthy canteen and nude food program
- seek continuous improvement through ongoing reflection, monitoring and evaluation.
Torquay College is committed to ensuring this charter is reflected in the day-to-day practice of the school. We believe that creating a healthy school will improve health and wellbeing outcomes for all members of our school community, and that will impact positively on the learning and development of all students.